عنوان مقاله [English]
Although antibiotics are widely used for the treatment of infectious diseases‚ there may have consequences such as adverse drug reactions and antibiotic resistance. The aim of recent study was to compare the antibacterial activity of aqueous and alcohol extracts of Coriandrum sativum on Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. The antibacterial properties of the extracts were assayed using well diffusion and Microtitr plate (for determining the MIC and MBC). Results of well diffusion method showed that S. aureus and L. monocytogenes were sensitive but E. coli and S. typhimurium were found resistant against both aqueous and alcohol extracts. The MIC and MBC for S. aureus was estimated at 6.25 µg/ml and 12.5 µg/ml, respectively. It was concluded that aqueous and alcohol extracts of Coriandrum sativum were effective on Gram-positive bacteria, however they were ineffective against Gram-negative strains used in this experiment.
● Cheng, R.B., Chen, X., Liu, S.J., Zhang, X.F. and Zhang, G.H. (2009). Antifungal activity of the benzo[c]phenanthridine alkaloids from Chelidonium majus Linn against resistant clinical yeast isolates, Journal Ethnopharmacology. 125(3): 494-496.
● Dash, B.K., Sultana, S. and Sultana, N. (2011). Antibacterial activities of methanol and acetone extracts of Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum) and Coriander (Coriandrum sativum). Life Sciences and Medicine Research, 27: 1-8.
● Eloff, J.N. (1999). It is possible to use herbarium specimens to screen for antibacterial components in some plant. Journal Ethno pharmacol. 67(3): 355-360.
● Ghaderi, S., Falahati-HosseinAbad, A., Sarailoo, M.H. and Ghanbari, V. (2012). Investigation of the components and antibacterial effects of three plant’s essential oil Coriandrum sativum, Achillea millefolium, Anethum graveolens in vitro. Journal of Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences.14(5): 74-82.
● Gulluce M., Sahin F., Sokman M., Ozer H., Daferera D. and Sokman, A. (2007). Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of the essential oils and methanol extract from Mentha longifolia L. longifolia. Food Chemistry 103: 1449-56.
● Jalali, M. (2008). Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts of some medicinal plant against Listeria monosytogenes. Journal of Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, 8(3): 23-25 [In Persian].
● Khan, D.A., Hassan, F., Ullah, H., Karim, S., Baseer, A., Abid, et al. (2013). Antibacterial avtivity of Phyllantus emblica, Coriandrum sativum, Culinaris medic, Lawsonia alba and Cucumis sativus. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica, 70(5): 855-859.
● Mahmoudi, R., Amini, K., Fakhri O., and Alem M. (2014). Aroma profile and antimicrobial properties of alcoholic and aqueous extracts from root, leaf and stalk of nettle (Urtica dioica L.). Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Science. 4(3): 220-224.
● Mokhtari, M., Johari, H. and Yazdanpour, F. (2010). Effect of of Coriandrum sativum aqueous and alcoholicextracts on the pituitary - ovaries hormones in rats. Medical Sciences Journal, 22 (4): 237-243.
● Moradian, H., Bazargani, A., Rafiee, A. and Nazarialam, A. (2013). In vitro comparison of antimicrobial activity of aqueous decoction of Coriandrum sativum‚ and dentol drop with chlorhexidine on Streptococcus mutans. Iran Journal of Microbiology, 5(3): 239-243.
● Rahman, S., Parvez, A.K., Islam, R. and Khan, M.H. (2011). Antibacterial activity of natural apices on multiple drug resistant Escherichia coli isolated from drinking water, Bangladesh. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, 15(15): 10.
● Razaghi, R. (2003). Investigation of antibacterial compounds of saffron stgma. Third National Conference on Saffran, Iran. [In Persian].
● Shairfa, A.A., Neoh, Y.L., Iswadi, M.I., Khairul, O., Abdul Halim, M., Jamaludin, M. et al. (2008). Effects of methanol, ethanol and aqueous extract of Plantago major on gram positive bacteria, gram negative bacteria and yeast, Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 8: 42-44.
● Silva, F., Ferreira, S., Queiroz, J A. and Dominguse, F.C. (2011). Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L) essential oil: its antibacterial activity and mode of action evaluated by flow cytometry. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 60 (10): 1479-1486.
● Simonati, C.N. and Mihuta, M. (2009). Antimicrobial effect of seed extract of coriander. Journal of Agroalimentary Processes and Technologies, 15(2): 298-300.